Thursday, July 3, 2008

Reunions, Perchance Goodbyes

Tea: Vanilla Lapsang

Music: Johnny Cash, "In My Life"

Time: Night.

The bags are packed, the trunk loaded. Tomorrow morning, we'll set out for southwest Kansas (picking up two of the kids along the way in Salina, where we'll snag a bag of sliders at the Cozy Inn.)

There are two family reunions planned, both on my mother-in-law's side of the family, along with a visit to my late father-in-law's parents. Both of them are now in their 80s, and in failing health.

My wife's grandmother, meanwhile, is in a nursing home -- fairly hale in body, but in an amiable fog.

I have already said goodbye to my own grandparents and both parents -- but any death is all deaths, as my friend/collaborator/undefinable kindred spirit Seánan Forbes is wont to say, and impending farewells evoke memories of past ones.

That said, this is not an extended series of pre-wakes. As long as there is life, it is to be lived and celebrated. Besides, tomorrow's not promised to any of us. Grim thought, perhaps, but also an incentive.

No comments: