Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Quick Bite of Appreciation

Tea: Iced Chai

Music: The Who, "Eminence Front"

Time: Night.

I like to cook. Occasionally, I even love it. And I'm not bad -- or so I hear from time to time.

But I still envy the people who can be handed random ingredients and make magic. The food whisperers, if you will.

The Iron Chefs (one of whom I once got to meet) come to mind, obviously. But they're just the most famous examples.

I'm in awe of anyone with an intuitive knack for what is both art and craft -- as well as a basic human need. To look at a piece of fish, heft a melon, sniff a bunch of herbs and know just what should be done with each, for how long and in combination with this or that -- well, that's a fine gift.

And while I might not have it, I'm not jealous. Just appreciative of those who do, and who share it with the rest of us.

Why do I bring this up?

Because many times I use this space to rant or gripe ... and tonight I just felt like raising a cup to artists of the culinary stripe.

No comments: