Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This Post Could Not Be Completed as Dialed.

Tea: Mandarin Green

Music: Electric Light Orchestra, "Mr. Blue Sky"

Time: Almost midnight.

There's a saying: "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."

I'd planned a longish bit of musing on the question of whether it's acceptable to give less than full effort on anything. Is phoning it in a needful survival mechanism, to keep one's brain from exploding from constant effort? Or is it a sin -- in the strictest sense of the word -- not to do one's best in everything, as though doing it for God?

So, of course, my browser went blooey for several hours, and I find myself choosing between trying to recreate the full mental text -- which included the names "Jackson Pollock" and "Pele" -- or leaving it for another day.

Would that count as phoning in this post? Or does being tired entitle me to say I gave it what I had, when I had it?

I don't know. But if I don't get to bed soon, I'll be sleeping by half measures.

So, I think, I'm going to hit my pillow with everything I have. After I put my phone on to recharge, of course.

No comments: