Sunday, January 25, 2009

There's Someone You Should Meet ...

Tea: Blueberry

Music: Potato Moon, "Let's Ride"

Time: Night.

It's Sunday. Apparently, I have been granted divine favor and allowed to log into Blogspot.

I have a friend who's an expert matchmaker. Not in the "He's a nice guy, you'll like him" sense. She knows people in all walks of and stations in life, and delights in putting them together in mutually beneficial combinations. It's not schmoozing. It's not name-dropping. It's something far purer and a lot more fun to watch.

I've seen her do it countless times. Each time, I thought, "It would be kind of cool to be able to do that, but I'll never be that sort of resource."

And then ...

Not too long ago, I started talking to a friend at my "regular"church about the church I sometimes attend on Sunday evenings. Yes, the bar church. Before long, my friend had linked up with the pastor of the new church, and now they're jointly recruiting volunteers to do laundry for homeless people.

I write about art and artists, which also brings me into contact with people who book shows. As it turned out, one curator was looking for a fiber artist and I had just written about a fiber artist. Now, she has a show booked for this fall -- and the same curator is looking to book another artist about whom I wrote.

None of this reflects any great level of connectedness on my part. It's a matter of believing in people and promoting them -- which is exactly what my matchmaking friend does. There's a joy in that, which I hadn't felt before.

I kind of like it. More than that, I like for good things to happen to people.

I just wish I'd started sooner.

1 comment:

Seánan said...

You've started. That's what counts. All going well, the joy should fuel you enough that continuing will be pure and energizing pleasure (kind of like getting to have your coffee and be it, too).